Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Growth


http://www.gracc.or.kr/data/downfile/%EC%83%88%EC%8B%B9.bmp
Ideas and Content
For the Alchemist essay, I am aware that my writing skills weren't satisfactory. I strayed off from the topic casually and didn't really have any outstanding or effective ideas to support my thoughts. So I can not really find any examples that shows appropriate ideas and content. However, I can find infinite examples that lack contents and ideas. The main reason for my lack of ideas was because of the weak quote I chose. Frankly speaking, while I was looking for quotes, I just picked any quote that would be able to support my ideas and not see the depth of it in the actual story which caused my ideas to be weak too. For the Julius Caesar, I have improved. The main reason why I failed the Alchemist essay was because of the quote, but for the Julius Caesar essay, my quotes were strong and had depth in it. For that, I could express my ideas as much as I want and effectively write it so that the reader would be able to understand my ideas thoroughly. However, my Julius Caesar also had several flaws. The main mistake that cut off some grades were because of simple grammar problems. If I had looked back at my essay thoroughly enough, I would have been able to cover those mistakes and earn a better grade.
Organization
For the Alchemist essay, my organization wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. I had tried to mention my ideas according to the stories chronological order but couldn't seem to organize my ideas so that the reader would easily understand what I am trying to say since the teacher who had graded my essay was often lost.
For the Julius Caesar essay, I have mentioned my ideas in an organized manner and knew where to focus on important parts of my essay. My use of transitions were fair. Additionally, by stating a clear and focused topic sentence supported by an appropriate quote, I was able to list my ideas in an organized manner.
Personal Growth
There is an obvious growth between my essays. It clearly shows is my grade of how much I've improved in writing skills. The depth of my ideas have become exceedingly deeper and the ideas are layed out in an organized manner for the reader to easily read it. The quotes that I chose were significant compared to the Alchemist quotes which proved that I understood the significance of certain quotes better than before and whether it would contain enough information so that I can express my idea more clearly. Additionally, less grammar mistakes are made and my sentence structure is firm. My ideas stay focused on the topic, and most importantly, I have exceedingly imporved in wrapping up my ideas in my conclusion, which I have absolutely failed in the Alchemist essay.
SLR Reflection
The SLR I have represented in both of my essays were 'reason critically.' I needed evidence to prove to myself and to the reader that the quotes I have chose are significant and my ideas make sense. Another SLR that I demonstrated was 'communicate effectively' since writings are all about communication between the writer and the reader. In order to help the reader to understand his or her ideas, the writer must provide evidence and express her ideas efficiently and not flow away from the topic. I may have not be an ideal model to express the SLRs but I have tried my best.

No comments: